The U.S. State Department can share USG-purchased commercial satellite imagery with approved recipients under certain conditions and Departmental clearance on an individual case-by-case basis.
The Department’s ability to facilitate commercial imagery requests is subject to Departmental determination that it is in the interest of the USG to share the requested imagery as well as staffing and resource constraints. In order to receive USG-purchased imagery, an organization should have the capacity to receive, process, and work with raw high-resolution imagery data. In addition, they should be able to provide specific answers to the questions below. In dialogue with the Department, it may be determined that further refinement of the requirements or narrowing of the requested scope is necessary.
· What is the purpose of your imagery request? What sort of analysis do you intend to conduct using the requested imagery? What sort of data do you intend to create? What sort of products do you intend to generate using the imagery or imagery-derived data, and how will they be disseminated?
· What are the specific points and/or bounding coordinates for your area(s) of interest?
· What is timeframe (specific date, range of dates, and/or pre-event and post-event dates) required for the requested coverage?
· Do you require panchromatic, multispectral, or both?
· Do you require geo-rectified or ortho-rectified coverage?
· What file format is required for receipt of the imagery? (NITF, GeoTiff, etc)
· How do you wish to receive the imagery, and if applicable, what if your ftp information? (Note that at present imagery data can only be sent directly to a requesting organization’s ftp site, or DVDs can be sent via mail.)